When we arrived at the hotel everything was great. It was a huge sprawling lodge steeped in the grandest of old-timey architecture. Even the concierge was cool. He was wearing a hat with a raccoon tail on it to lend some old west-time spirit to the place (I assumed). The idea was we were going to spend two days bush-whacking through the forest on separate day trips and in between head back to the hotel for some comfortable lodging (if you get my drift).
Unfortunately, what actually happened is I caught a severe case of poison ivy! I thought I had all my bases covered. After all, I was an experienced woodsman. I guess I didn’t notice the telltale signs of poison ivy, that is, the distinctive three, thin shiny leaves that are green in the summer and turn orange/bronze in the fall. Most individuals are only allergic to the oily type resin (or sap) of the plant. Others can get an itchy case of poison ivy from the stems, plants, flowers and leaves. This seems to have happened to me. For before we even arrived back at our friendly concierge desk my legs, hands, arms and ankles were bright red and itching like crazy!
Thankfully our concierge arranged for a doctor to come to the hotel and treat me. I was a wreck. The doctor filled me in on a lot of poison ivy–related factoids. Such as, had we had a campfire burning and inadvertently lit the poison ivy plant on fire we both could have had a difficult time breathing due to the burning resin situated inside our airways.